Trying out new IT or voice and data services – that’s fun. Picking out new office carpeting and paint for a new office design – that can be even MORE fun! But while there are some high points and fun tasks that can be found on your office relocation checklist, finances is not one of them. When coordinating your office move, it’s important to control your budget.
Here are a few tips that can help:
- Add 10% to each item for your office relocation budget. This extra amount will help cushion the blow when things go wrong or for unforeseen costs. For example, you may need to adjust the space for commercial cabling or voice and data lines. Adding in an extra 10% will help to ensure you won’t go over budget.
- Don’t forget about taxes! When considering different pieces of commercial real estate in different areas, make sure to find out the area’s taxes before signing a lease or purchasing a new piece of property. And remember: there are tax breaks for “green” or sustainable office moves.
- Stay on top of things. The longer you wait the more it will cost you. Avoid “rush fees” or additional costs by using MoveMyBiz.com’s Office Relocation Checklists and timelines for your office move.
- Don’t focus on numbers. As an office move coordinator, you always try to stay within your office move budget—if not under. You need to remember that you get what you pay for so don’t always think cheap when relocating to a new office space.
- Ask about specials! When negotiating for commercial office space ask about specials like a rent-free period. The commercial real estate market is still flexible and brokers and owners are willing to negotiate to fill spaces.
Once you’ve successfully financed your move, you might ask yourself, “what’s next?” There are about 200 more steps to take before you call your job as move coordinator finished. Next you must start thinking about IT relocation and how to move your IT network along with all the aspects of office design with new office furniture. Don’t forget to download our industry specific office move timelines and office relocation checklists to help with planning everything from carpeting to voice and data. Happy Moving!